Once upon a time there was (science) story – science communication workshop
31 October 2022
4:00 PM – 5:00 PM
- P201, Faculty of Economics and Administration MU, Lipová 41a, Brno
An interactive workshop for researchers to think about how they communicate their work through the lens of storytelling. Understanding what makes a good story will help you to communicate more clearly with the media, peers, even funders. Edwin Colyer is a British science journalist with more than 25 years of professional experience in science writing and science journalism. He has spent one month in Brno as a Masaryk University Science Journalism Fellow financed by the European Research Council (ERC). This workshop is an excellent opportunity for knowledge transfer.
1. What makes a good story
• Narrative arcs
• Think like your audience
• DIY: make us laugh, cry or blow our minds
• Now what? Always have a purpose and plan.
2. Learning outcomes
• Look at your research in news ways
• Identify storylines to aid communication
• Feel more confident to engage with journalists
• Start thinking more strategically about your communication
Please register for the workshop here.